Artificial intelligence is taking over every aspect of our lives. From our homes to our jobs, AI is evolving and soon a major portion of our life will become dependent on it. Now, people can definitely come up with ideas to incorporate AI to get better results.
“The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. Unless you have direct exposure to groups like Deepmind, you have no idea how fast—it is growing at a pace close to exponential. The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five-year time frame. 10 years at most.” – Elon Musk.
Similar to Elon Musk’s view, more brilliant minds in the world of technology have weighed their thoughts about artificial intelligence and they are definitely thought-provoking. Coming from the thinkers and the people actively working in the technology world, one can get an idea about how AI will be evolving and also understand their thoughts on it.
Here are some of the best artificial intelligence quotes from renowned personalities that will help you understand the world of AI better. These artificial intelligence quotes will make you think about our future a little more deeply and profoundly.
Quotes about the role AI will play in mankind
There are millions of possibilities when it comes to the evolution of AI in mankind. Here’s what some quotes from well-known personalities that convey what they think about AI in relation to mankind.
- “Artificial intelligence would be the ultimate version of Google. The ultimate search engine that would understand everything on the web. It would understand exactly what you wanted, and it would give you the right thing. We’re nowhere near doing that now. However, we can get incrementally closer to that, and that is basically what we work on.” – Larry Page, Co-Founder of Google.
- “Success in creating AI would be the biggest event in human history. Unfortunately, it might also be the last, unless we learn how to avoid the risks.” – Stephen Hawking
- “The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race….It would take off on its own, and re-design itself at an ever-increasing rate. Humans, who are limited by slow biological evolution, couldn’t compete, and would be superseded.” – Stephen Hawking.
- “Some people call this artificial intelligence, but the reality is this technology will enhance us. So instead of artificial intelligence, I think we’ll augment our intelligence.” – Ginni Rometty, former Chairman and CEO of IBM
- “You have to talk about ‘The Terminator’ if you’re talking about artificial intelligence. I actually think that that’s way off. I don’t think that an artificially intelligent system that has superhuman intelligence will be violent. I do think that it will disrupt our culture.” – Gray Scott, founder, and CEO of SeriousWonder
- “The coming era of Artificial Intelligence will not be the era of war, but be the era of deep compassion, non-violence, and love.” – Amit Ray, Indian Author
- “It seems probable that once the machine thinking method had started, it would not take long to outstrip our feeble powers… They would be able to converse with each other to sharpen their wits. At some stage, therefore, we should have to expect the machines to take control.” – Alan Turing
- “I’m more frightened than interested by artificial intelligence – in fact, perhaps fright and interest are not far away from one another. Things can become real in your mind, you can be tricked, and you believe things you wouldn’t ordinarily. A world run by automatons doesn’t seem completely unrealistic anymore. It’s a bit chilling.” – Gemma Whelan, Actor
Quotes about AI and the workspace of future
- “Humans need and want more time to interact with each other. I think AI coming about and replacing routine jobs is pushing us to do what we should be doing anyway: the creation of more humanistic service jobs.” – Kai-Fu Lee, Chairman, and CEO of Sinovation Ventures
- “Robots are not going to replace humans, they are going to make their jobs much more humane. Difficult, demeaning, demanding, dangerous, dull – these are the jobs robots will be taking.” – Sabine Hauert, Associate Professor of Swarm Engineering at the University of Bristol
- “It’s natural to wonder if there will be a jobless future or not. What we’ve concluded, based on much research, is that there will be jobs lost, but also gained, and changed. The number of jobs gained and changed is going to be a much larger number, so if you ask me if I worry about a jobless future, I actually don’t. That’s the least of my worries.” – James Manyika, Chairman and Director of McKinsey Global Institute (MGI)
- “If people trust artificial intelligence (AI) to drive a car, people will most likely trust AI to do your job.” – Dave Waters
- “If we do it right, we might be able to evolve a form of work that taps into our uniquely human capabilities and restores our humanity. The ultimate paradox is that this technology may become a powerful catalyst that we need to reclaim our humanity.” – John Hagel, Founder of Beyond Our Edge
Quotes about AI regulation
The data on which AI is being trained may reflect certain biases and differences that have been created by our society. Several researchers are concerned that to address them, we need regulation. We can witness issues related to biases and regulation and even today in the case of AI text-to-image generators like DALL-E. Here are a few quotes about regulation in artificial intelligence.
- “We’re seeing a kind of a Wild West situation with AI and regulation right now. The scale at which businesses are adopting AI technologies isn’t matched by clear guidelines to regulate algorithms and help researchers avoid the pitfalls of bias in datasets. We need to advocate for a better system of checks and balances to test AI for bias and fairness, and to help businesses determine whether certain use cases are even appropriate for this technology at the moment.” – Timnit Gebru, AI researcher
- “I don’t want to really scare you, but it was alarming how many people I talked to who are highly placed people in AI who have retreats that are sort of ‘bug out’ houses, to which they could flee if it all hits the fan.” – James Barrat, American Documentary Filmmaker
- “I’m increasingly inclined to think that there should be some regulatory oversight, maybe at the national and international level, just to make sure that we don’t do something very foolish. I mean with artificial intelligence we’re summoning the demon.” – Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla and SpaceX
- “The problem that needs to be addressed is that the government, itself, needs to get a better handle on how technology systems interact with the citizenry. Secondarily, there needs to be more cross-talk between industry, civil society, and the academic organizations working to advance these technologies and the government institutions that are going to be representing them.” – Terah Lyons, ex-Executive Director of Partnership on AI
- “If the government regulates against use of drones or stem cells or artificial intelligence, all that means is that the work and the research leave the borders of that country and go someplace else.” – Peter Diamandis, CEO of the Zero Gravity Corporation
- “The real question is, when will we draft an artificial intelligence bill of rights? What will that consist of? And who will get to decide that?” – Gray Scott, founder, and CEO of SeriousWonder
- “In this era of profound digital transformation, it’s important to remember that business, as well as government, has a role to play in creating shared prosperity — not just prosperity. After all, the same technologies that can be used to concentrate wealth and power can also be used to distribute it more widely and empower more people.” – Erik Brynjolfsson, Jerry Yang and Akiko Yamazaki Professor and Senior Fellow at the Stanford Institute for Human-Centered AI (HAI)
- “We must address, individually and collectively, moral and ethical issues raised by cutting-edge research in artificial intelligence and biotechnology, which will enable significant life extension, designer babies, and memory extraction.” – Klaus Schwab, Executive Chairman of the World Economic Forum
Other AI Quotes
Here are a few artificial intelligence quotes that will just sum everything up for you about how people are feeling with the advent of AI.
- “AI doesn’t have to be evil to destroy humanity – if AI has a goal and humanity just happens to come in the way, it will destroy humanity as a matter of course without even thinking about it, no hard feelings.” – Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla and SpaceX
- “The upheavals [of artificial intelligence] can escalate quickly and become scarier and even cataclysmic. Imagine how a medical robot, originally programmed to rid cancer, could conclude that the best way to obliterate cancer is to exterminate humans who are genetically prone to the disease.” – Nick Bilton, British-American Journalist, Author, and Filmmaker
- “Artificial intelligence will reach human levels by around 2029. Follow that out further to, say, 2045, and we will have multiplied the intelligence – the human biological machine intelligence of our civilization – a billion-fold.” – Ray Kurzweil, Computer Scientist, Inventor, Futurist
- “The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence.” – Jean Baudrillard, French Sociologist
- “A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God.” – Alan Perlis, Computer Scientist
Some are afraid and others are not but everyone is waiting to see what happens when AI gels with mankind. These quotes about artificial intelligence at least help us to know where we stand and what are we looking at in the future.