You probably check into your Facebook each and everyday. Face the fact that you almost can’t go smoothly without it. You need Facebook to connect with your friends, to stay updated of what’s happening around you, to network your company or to market your website or blog. And there are many more reasons for you to use Facebook.
Whatever, right? The point to which I’m coming at is that “You use Facebook daily or on a regular basis“.
Do you leave the things you use daily messed up?
Is your toothbrush unclean? Is your clothes unwashed? Or, is your car rusty? Well, if you’re a person who doesn’t give a damn about tidiness – this post is not for you. You’re free to hit the red “X” button and leave like a boss.
And if you do – keep on reading. Because in this post, you’ll be using a broom to clean up your Facebook and make your experience on the social network a better one.
Table of Contents
Why do you need to clean up your Facebook?
- To have a Better Feed : News Feed is the constantly updating list of stories which appears your home page. It includes status updates, photos, videos, links, app activity and likes from people, Pages and groups that you follow on Facebook. The stories in your News Feed are show through an Algorith which takes factors like who posted the story, the number of comments and likes it received, and what kind of story it is (ex: photo, video, status update). This helps you to see the most interesting stories from the friends you interact with the most.
But your news feed is probably messed up with unwanted stuff! And this post will help you to clear the mess.
- To stop receiving Unnecessary Messages : Yup, I agree! Facebook let’s you to send messages to people across the world. And other people can do the same. But what if you are getting irritated down to the hole because of troublers?
- And to make sure you doesn’t start to hate Facebook.
Let’s start the Engine!
#1) Clean your Friends list.
When I started using Facebook, I went crazy and clicked the “Add as Friend” button as much as possible on different profiles. There was this old trend ( maybe new users still have it ) of collecting more and more Facebook friends. What are people? Seashells or something? Huh!
You might be having a lot of people, that you actually don’t want on your list. What’s the bad news? Your feeds will be flooded with posts and activities of these people, which you seriously don’t want. So, as a part of making your news feed a better one, you’ll need to clear those so called FRIENDS from your list.
- Go to your Facebook friends list. ( www.facebook.com/friends )
- Find those people whom you want to kick out.
- Hover the mouse over the button that says “Friends.”
- And hit the Unfriend button. Piece of cake, right?
#2) Stop Following the Useless!
Just like the good old Add Friend trend, there was this Follow Them trend too. You could have a lot of people whom you’re following without a reason. OR, there are people who haven’t accepted your friend requests yet, which makes you follow them automatically.
What if you don’t want to see their posts and activities? Just unfollow them! Here’s how you do it.
- Go to your Profile.
- Click on Friends and hit the tab labelled “Following”.
- Then find the people that you want to stop following.
- And hit the button and make you unfollow the person.
#3) Unlike the Pages which you Don’t Actually LIKE :
Friends, Followings… Then comes the updates and activities from the Pages to fill up your News Feed. A study done by an expert social media research team says that – “An average Facebook user hits the like button on Facebook Pages even though they really doesn’t like it or wish to stay updated through them. And out of all the pages liked, 38% of them will be pages which you don’t even like a bit.”
There are times when I liked Fan Pages without a reason. And I’m sure you’ve did the same too. This might be a reason for your Facebook news feed getting filled with content or advertisements which you doesn’t want to see. Oh yuck, I hate some of those ads for sure.
By now, you already know that it’s time to Unlike and stop receiving notifications and updates from them. And here’s how you do it.
- Go to your Profile page.
- In the address bar, after your username : type this “/likes”
- Hit go and you’ll see a tab labelled “Other likes” > Go to that link.
- Now you’ll see a list of Facebook fan pages which you’ve liked.
Just hover on the Like button and hit Unlike as shown in the picture.
A walk in the park, right?
That’s it. Congratulations. By now you’ve completed the major part of cleaning up your Facebook.
#4) Report and Remove Content Manually
Still, there might be content popping out of your News Feed which you don’t want to see. These must be updates from the friends of your friends, advertisements of the Fan Pages which you’ve liked or some other random shit. And if you want to stop getting these kinda news, here’s what you need to do.
- Whenever you see a post which you didn’t wanted to see (which you will) , stop scrolling.
- Click on the small down arrow on the top right corner of the post.
- And hit “I don’t want to see this.”
Yeeha, you’re done.
Try to do it whenever you’re free or whenever you see a post or advertisement which you don’t want to.
#5) Take the Survey.
Facebook has their official Survey up and running with which they are collecting feedback from the users to make the news feed a better one. In this survey, they ask you about your Age group, your gender, how often you use Facebook and about your other opinions. It’s simple and it won’t take more than 2 minutes.
Take your time and complete the survey and help them to make better adjustments in the future. Please be sure to submit authentic information.
Here’s the link to the survey : www.surveymonkey.com/s/news_feed
Over to you!
Hi there Facebook user. By now, you’re ready to transform your Facebook account into a new and super cool one no more bullshits or distractions. Congrats!
If you found this post useful, please share it over your friends to help them too. Sharing is caring. Cheers!