Since Facebook rebranded itself as ‘Meta’ and invested a lot of money towards building it, everyone wants to know more about it. Many companies apart from Meta are also entering and building their presence in the metaverse. The metaverse is still a fairly new concept and while everyone wants to try their hands at the new virtual reality, many people are skeptical about it.
It is natural for people to react in this manner as whenever we counter something new or something we don’t understand, this is a popular reaction. Once people start to understand the concept better, they become more accepting of new technology. The best way to understand the metaverse is through the words of the people or tech leaders that are putting effort to build it. Here are 7 metaverse quotes that will help you understand the upcoming virtual reality better:
1. “Metaverse isn’t a thing a company builds. It’s the next chapter of the internet overall.” – Mark Zuckerberg, CEO of Meta
Coming from someone who has his eyes set to build the future for everyone, this quote simply suggests what lies ahead of us. No one knew how dominant the internet would become before it actually came and made space in our lives. Similarly, while some of us may not see or believe it right now, the metaverse is another revolution that will impact our lives.
2. “The metaverse is here, and it’s not only transforming how we see the world but how we participate in it – from the factory floor to the meeting room.” – Satya Nadella, CEO of Microsoft
Believe it or not, the transition is already happening. Not only people, but also brands, companies, and every industry is looking to see how they can leverage the metaverse to increase their presence. It is also true that those who are quick will enjoy the ‘first movers benefit’. The company that was running among the top players of the www-revolution also visualizes the metaverse as something that would transform the way we ‘participate’ in the world. Microsoft will also try to replicate the success it previously garnered.
3. “This metaverse is going to be far more pervasive and powerful than anything else. If one central company gains control of this, they will become more powerful than any government and be a god on Earth.” – Tim Sweeney, CEO of Epic Games
Aligning his thoughts with most tech heads, the CEO of Epic Games also believes the metaverse will be huge. One can also imagine if some company manages to ‘get there first’, it will hold a lot of power. All of this talks about the future and Epic Games has also invested to build the metaverse. Whether the CEO let us in on his plan or issued a warning to its competitors is pretty unclear.
4. “I don’t see someone strapping a frigging screen to their face all day and not wanting to ever leave.” – Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla
No one can stop the free speech advocate from not sugarcoating his words. The owner of Tesla doesn’t seem to be very inclined about this concept. His words might be our reality right now but we can certainly predict the technology to get more advanced as we go ahead.
5. “There’s not an agreement on what the metaverse is, even though one company has changed its name in anticipation of defining it.” – Eric Schmidt, former CEO of Google
We certainly know which company has changed its name to define the metaverse and it is also true that the metaverse is still a fairly new concept. It is very unclear whether the metaverse will be dominated by one company or many collectively, or whether there will be a governing body. So, while the term is fascinating we still have a long way to go to finally come to an agreement about what the metaverse is.
6. “The metaverse is coming. Metaverse is not only a place to game. Future worlds will be photorealistic, obey the laws of physics, and be inhabited by human avatars and AI beings. We will create a future in these metaverses before actually downloading the blueprints to be fab’ed in the physical world.” – Jensen Huang, CEO of Nvidia
The metaverse right now might be associated with games and worlds where people attend concerts, hold meetings, etc. Nvidia is also one of the companies that have pumped in a lot of money to bring the metaverse to reality. The company’s CEO believes in a metaverse where people just don’t play games but also witness the participation of humans as avatars and AI beings. The metaverse is the future that we are preparing for right now.
7. “The people are pieces of software called avatars. They are the audiovisual bodies that people use to communicate with each other in the metaverse.” – Neal Stephenson, Author
Neal Stephenson is the first person who connected the term metaverse to the idea of an interactive virtual reality in his 1992 book “Snow Crash.” At that time, he visualized a world or reality where people in the form of avatars can communicate and interact with each other. Companies today also have a similar idea and are developing the metaverse on these lines.
The metaverse seems very fascinating! People who want to lead this revolution also have similar thoughts about how it will be the future and all of us are going to be a part of it. These quotes about the metaverse help us anticipate how the metaverse will slowly unravel and create a space for itself in our daily lives.